This station when it was in operation was the American termination point for a telegraph cable that came directly to Orleans from France. It was called "Le Direct" the direct cable. It was installed in 1898 and was almost 3200 miles long.
The first French Cable was installed in 1869 and landed in Duxbury Ma. It had been routed through St Pierre Island near Newfoundland. Duxbury was a very busy shipping area and not suitable as a place for submarine cable. A lot of damage occurred from fishing and shipping operations.